The advantage of early and actionable insight into your baby’s health
Sema4 Natalis is a highly accurate test that analyzes your baby’s DNA for more than 190 conditions* that can affect children before the age of 10. It only screens for conditions that may be treated† with medication, dietary modification, or other therapies.
About 1 in 4 to 1 in 150 children‡ are expected to screen positive for a condition on the Sema4 Natalis panel. Most babies who are born with these conditions appear healthy at first. This means that a disease may not be diagnosed until symptoms appear. Early screening with Sema4 Natalis can help you and your pediatrician know whether to take proactive steps, sooner, to care for your baby’s health.
Learn more about your child’s chance of screening positive for a condition on this test.
* Sema4 Natalis analyzes 166 genes to screen for 193 genetic conditions.
† Always consult with your child’s pediatrician before taking any medical action or starting treatment based on results of screening with Sema4 Natalis.
‡ Estimated positive report rate based on worldwide carrier frequencies. Chance of a positive result varies depending on ethnicity.
- Sema4 Natalis detects 190+ childhood conditions to give you more comprehensive insight into your baby’s health. Many of these conditions can’t be detected by carrier screening, standard prenatal tests, or state newborn screening.
- This test only includes conditions that may be treated with medication, dietary modification, or other therapies, so you and your pediatrician can take proactive steps to care for your child’s health.
- Sema4 Natalis uses advanced DNA sequencing technology to detect changes in your baby’s genes with >95% accuracy. Learn more about the accuracy of this test.
- No heel pricks necessary. The Sema4 Natalis cheek swab is designed for gentle and simple at-home testing.
Every Sema4 Natalis order also includes an analysis of your child’s response to more than 30 medications that may be prescribed during childhood, including common antibiotics. This analysis can help doctors personalize treatment for your child throughout their life. This test is offered at no additional cost and can be completed using the same DNA sample collected for Sema4 Natalis.
Early and actionable insight into your baby’s health
Sema4 Natalis screens for 193 childhood conditions to help you and your pediatrician take proactive steps to care for your baby’s health. We recommend purchasing Sema4 Natalis before your child is born. We will ship the DNA collection kit to you in advance, so you will have everything you need to screen your baby soon after birth.
This test is not appropriate for children older than 10 years old. Sema4 Natalis is not available for residents of New Jersey and Rhode Island.
Price includes $34.30 collected for PWN for physician test review and genetic counseling services.
Results you can trust
Sema4 Natalis was developed by a team of leading clinical and molecular geneticists, pediatricians, and scientists with expertise in pediatric genetic conditions. This test was carefully designed to provide results that are both accurate and useful, based on years of research and clinical experience in molecular diagnostics. Sema4 Natalis met strict criteria, including
- Analytic validity, or how accurately a test can detect a certain genetic change (or variant). All DNA samples for Sema4 Natalis are analyzed in our CLIA-certified lab using advanced DNA sequencing technology that is >95% accurate
- Clinical validity, or how well a genetic test can predict a certain disease. Sema4 Natalis only screens for genetic changes that are highly penetrant. This means that if someone is born with genetic change(s) screened for by this test, there is a high probability (>80%) that they will develop symptoms of the associated disease
- Clinical utility, or whether a genetic test provides useful information that can help improve treatment choices or other healthcare decisions. Sema4 Natalis only screens for conditions that can be treated* with medication, dietary modification, or other therapies
You can learn more about how to evaluate the quality of a genetic test through Genetics Home Reference, a website from the U.S. National Library of Medicine.
* Always consult with your child’s pediatrician before taking any medical action or starting treatment based on results of screening with Sema4 Natalis.
What conditions does Sema4 Natalis screen for?
Sema4 Natalis screens for 193 conditions that may be treated* with medication, dietary modification, or other therapies, including
|G6PD deficiency||For some conditions, like G6PD deficiency, simple dietary changes may help prevent serious health issues. G6PD deficiency is a common inherited condition that can cause mild-to-severe anemia when a child is exposed to fava beans, artificial blue food coloring, or foods with sulfites (a common preservative). Early awareness of G6PD deficiency, and avoidance of possible triggers, may help a child with this condition lead a normal, healthy life.|
|Atypical epilepsy||Vitamin supplementation may help treat conditions, such as pyridoxine-dependent epilepsy. This rare form of epilepsy can be difficult to diagnose and doesn’t respond to typical seizure medications. Instead, seizures and other serious neurological symptoms of pyridoxine-dependent epilepsy are usually treated with vitamin B6 supplementation. Early detection and diagnosis of this condition may help a child’s doctor select the most effective treatment quickly.|
|Glycogen storage diseases||Multiple therapies are available for many of the conditions detected by this test, including glycogen storage diseases. Sema4 Natalis detects several types of glycogen storage disease, a condition where the body can’t break down a complex sugar called glycogen. If undetected, these conditions can cause muscle and liver problems. However, early diagnosis and treatment with medication, dietary changes, and other therapies has been shown to help control symptoms.|
|Childhood cancers||Sema4 Natalis can also detect certain childhood cancers, such as retinoblastoma and Wilms tumor. Early detection allows for proactive screening for any signs of cancer and treatment with surgery, chemotherapy, and/or other therapies if necessary.|
How does it work?
Order Sema4 Natalis before your child is bornWe recommend ordering Sema4 Natalis before your child is born so you are prepared to screen soon after birth. To order this test, create a Sema4 account and answer a few health questions.
A doctor approves your orderEvery Sema4 Natalis order is reviewed by a doctor* to ensure that this test will meet your child’s unique healthcare needs. If your test request is not approved for any reason, you will not be charged.
Receive your kit in the mailA DNA collection kit is mailed directly to your home, including simple step-by-step instructions to help guide you through the collection process.
Once your baby is born, collect a DNA sample using a gentle cheek swabFollow the instructions in your Sema4 Natalis kit to collect a DNA sample from your child.
Recommended: Collect DNA samples from the biological parentsFor more precise results, we also recommend that both biological parents provide DNA samples. The parents’ samples will only be analyzed if a variant (or change) is detected in the child’s DNA. Analyzing the parents’ DNA can help confirm or rule out a positive result. While a false positive is very unlikely, this simple step may help prevent unnecessary worry for you and your family.
Get answers in ~2 weeksWe sequence and analyze all DNA samples at our advanced CLIA-certified lab. This usually takes about 2 weeks from the time your samples arrive at our lab.
Review resultsOnce results are ready, a genetic counselor* may contact you and your pediatrician to explain the results and provide guidance on next steps. You can access the results at any time through your Sema4 account.
* Sema4 has partnered with an independent network of doctors and genetic counselors, called PWN, to ensure that everyone who orders Sema4 Natalis has access to clinical oversight and expert counseling throughout the testing process.
A negative test result reduces, but doesn’t eliminate, your child’s risk of being affected by these genetic conditions or any other genetic conditions not covered by this test.
Sema4 Natalis is only intended to identify certain variants (or changes) in DNA that are very likely to cause genetic conditions. No single genetic test can detect all of the possible gene variants that could cause a condition. Additionally, this test does not report a child’s carrier status for autosomal recessive conditions.
Parental DNA is only analyzed using targeted testing if indicated by the child’s test results. Next-generation sequencing will not be performed on parental DNA and a separate report will not be issued to the parent.